Toggle menu

Cost of Living Support

South Ribble Together Logo

You will find different areas of support on the South Ribble Together page of our website which may help you with the cost of living.

Are you worried about the cost-of-living crisis?

If you are struggling or need help please contact our social prescribing team who may be able to assist and support you.

The team is available between 9.00am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday.

Please call 01772 625286 or email:

Please send us your name, a contact number and email address and a brief summary of what support you need.

If the support, you need is urgent or an emergency you should contact the most appropriate service. In any event of an immediate risk to life call 999.

UK Government Cost of Living Hub

The UK Government has set out what other support is available to help with the cost of living. This includes income and disability benefits, bills and allowances, childcare, housing and travel. You can find out what is available by visiting the Cost of Living Hub on the Government Website.

Government's Cost of Living Hub

Household Support Fund Schemes

Household Support Funding has come from the UK Government (Department for Work and Pensions) to local authorities, to support those who are struggling to cover basic heating costs and access other essential items.

A number of schemes have been developed by the council to support our local communities.

As this funding is allocated to South Ribble residents in need of financial support, you may be asked to provide supporting documentation such as proof of income or receive a home visit to survey your needs.

You do not need to be in receipt of benefits to access this support, but funding is targeted to those who are struggling financially.

The details that you provide us with will be shared with providers, to make sure that you are supported in the right way. We may check the details you provide against other records as part of our efforts to prevent fraud.

You can view our privacy notice here


Household Support Fund Payments

We recognise that energy and household costs remain high for households. The scheme can help with short-term living costs. This may include support towards the cost of:

  • energy, water, or connectivity (broadband or mobile phone) bills
  • domestic heating or lighting products to improve energy efficiency
  • wider essentials linked to energy and water (including sanitary products, warm clothing, soap, blankets, boiler service/repair, purchase of smaller / low value white goods i.e. a microwave, small fridge or slow cooker)
  • support with transport such as repairing a vehicle, public transport, or paying for fuel

The scheme will also sign post applicants to other sources of advice and support to ensure that you get all the assistance you may be entitled to including Welfare Benefits and Debt Advice to help address long term needs, before any decisions are made.


  •  You are a resident of South Ribble
  • Experiencing financial hardship and not have enough resources to meet your immediate short-term needs.
  • You do not need to be on benefits to access the scheme
  • Applicants may apply more than once during the duration of this round of funding, however applications will not be accepted within a 3 month period and we will request evidence that the funds awarded previously have been used for the intended purposes.
  • The amount of an award that can be made is £300. This will be provided in appropriate vouchers.
  • For single-person households an additional £50 will be provided. (a total of £350)

Accessing the Scheme

Apply for the Household Support Fund

The scheme may closed early if the budget is spent before September 2024.


Warm Home Grants

The aim of this grant scheme is to support residents in owner occupied properties to fund home energy efficiency improvements, therefore creating long-term sustainable reductions to their energy bills.

This scheme targets residents who cannot reasonably afford to fund the home improvements themselves.

Improvements that this scheme funds includes:

  • Replacement of broken boiler
  • Replacement of inefficient boiler (EPC rating F or below)
  • Replacement of broken timber single glazed windows of doors
  • Cavity Wall Insulation
  • Loft Insulation (Loft must be clear of any belongings)

Households will be eligible for funding if they meet at least one of the following vulnerabilities and have a low income, defined as follows.


  • people with a diagnosed cardiovascular conditions
  • people with a diagnosed respiratory conditions (in particular, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and childhood asthma)
  • people with diagnosed mental health conditions
  • people with diagnosed disabilities
  • older people (65 and older)
  • households with young children (up to the age of 5)
  • pregnant women
  • people who are terminally ill
  • people with suppressed immune systems (e.g. from cancer treatment or HIV)
  • people who have attended hospital due to a fall

The following vulnerable groups will be considered on referral from a professional organisation

  • people who move in and out of homelessness
  • people with addictions
  • Recent immigrants and refugees.

Low income

Low income can be confirmed in one of the following three ways:

  • Someone being in receipt of means tested benefits
  • Have a total household income not in excess of £31,000 and less than £5000 in savings
  • A 'declaration' by the Local Authority or health / social care professional that affordability issues are present.

How to apply

Apply by emailing or call 01772 625625 or 01772 625363 or 01772 625246

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email